Wednesday 3 January 2018

Saying Goodbye To 2017




This isn't your standard 'New Year' post but when I think about it, my year wasn't standard in any way. It feels like yesterday since I wrote my 'Hello 2017' blog post...for this one I hardly know where to begin! As I write this I'm thinking back 9 months when I was lying in a hospital bed post spinal fusion surgery - something I never dreamed would be happening at the start of 2017! Honestly it turned my life around for at least 4 months as I recovered. I'll be straight with you and admit that after battling depression last year, I felt as if I had no more time to waste and I wanted to make the most of my year out from education. However, come March 2017 when I received a phonecall inviting me to London for surgery, I didn't have much choice in the matter.


Sometimes life has to stop for a little while; your plans taking a back seat. My intentions of baking, photography, driving lessons and blogging to name but a few, had to get pushed aside while I focused on my health. This was never what I wanted (or imagined) but sometimes it's okay to press pause and face what needs facing. A huge part of me wants to put two fingers up at 2017 and shout 'Good Riddance' BUT the other half of me wants to thank it for taking me on an unexpected journey.

This year has taught me so many lessons or rather, emphasised them! First, time flies. Yes, that fortnight in hospital felt like a lifetime but time as a whole goes so quickly and each moment is so precious! Secondly, the most important things are ALWAYS health and happiness. These should be nurtured constantly and while plans may have to take a temporary backseat, health and happiness should never be pushed aside! Plans can wait!


You might be thinking, 'Well this isn't exactly a cheery, motivational New Year, New Me post!' but I'm not quite finished! After physiotherapy sessions, pilates and lots of sleep I gradually recovered from the surgery. I started my degree with the Open University, got a job in one of my favourite shops and attended some amazing blogger events! To top it off I finally passed my driving test! Like I say time flies, but it also heals! So, if it all goes tits up it's okay and it gets better.

So, here's to a better 2018 and a few wise words to keep in mind:

"Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground." - Teddy Roosevelt

"Look back one last time. But then never look back again. Leave it all behind you. What's coming is far more exciting." - The Better Man Project

"The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams." - Oprah Winfrey

"My life didn't please me, so I created my life" - Coco Chanel

"On a bad day there's always lipstick" - Audrey Hepburn


Happy 2018!  Katie x

Make sure you check me out on Instagram here!






SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I just found out about your blog (thanks to Twitter hahahha) but I seriously fell in love !! The way you write and explain things is sooooo good!
    Hope you will have the best year!!
    Hugsss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog on twitter too and I’m so amazed at what you’ve managed to get through this year!

    Brings me tons of joy to see your year ended in such a good place and I wish you all the best for 2018! ☺️��

    Milli

    www.milliberman.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so lovely! Hope you have a great year too!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig