Wednesday 20 January 2021

Four Books To Read Now


picture of a stack of books, book recommendations, book review

picture of normal people by Sally Rooney with red cover


As someone who loves reading and has a shelf full of books (only half of which I've actually got round to reading), it's strange that I've never done a book review or recommendation on my blog. I read a lot for my degree, a given when you do English Literature, but I also love reading for myself. One of my goals for 2021 is to read more novels that aren't recommended as part of my university reading list (even though some of these are very good, one of which I've actually included). If you're like me and love getting your nose stuck into a book with a warm drink by your side and cosying up under a blanket on a rainy Sunday afternoon - I know, I know I'm rambling - then keep on scrolling to see my current book recommendations. I rarely go for specific genres, just whatever catches my attention. 

Before the coffee gets cold - Toshikazu Kawaguchi

This is my first time reading a book by a Japanese author and I loved it! It tells the story of a coffee shop where you can travel in time. It sounds like some sci-fi novel but trust me it's not like that! It shares the stories of four different characters visiting the cafe each with their own unique tale. It's funny, heart-warming and emotional. I loved it so much that I asked for the sequel for Christmas! This is definitely a one-of-a-kind type book. I dare you to read it and tell me you didn't love it! The back cover is what initially enticed me...

'Are you listening?' Kazu continued. 'When you return to the past, you must drink the entire cup before the coffee goes cold...This is the one rule you have to absolutely obey.'

Everything I Know About Love - Dolly Alderton

I'm not usually one for chasing hyped up books but my sister gave me this at Christmas and I'm so glad she did. It'll make you laugh and cry (if you don't have a little heart of stone!). Even though Alderton's childhood and teenage years were so different from my own, I can sympathise and relate regardless! The anecdotes are hilarious and she makes you feel as if she's chatting to you like an old friend.  She shares her life lessons, good times and bad and she even throws in the occasional recipe! If the multitude of reviews doesn't encourage you to pick it up then take it from me, it's a dream to read!

'I'm always half in life, half in a fantastical version of it in my head.'

Normal People - Sally Rooney

It's very likely that you have already read this one or watched the BBC drama. I think what makes this novel so wonderful to read is that the characters are so ordinary and 'normal' - pardon the pun! There is so much depth to the characters and we feel their happiness and sorrow bouncing out of the page. It's relatable and uncomfortable and heart-wrenching and a joy all in one. I definitely preferred the novel to the TV show but both are brilliant! Sally Rooney's writing touches the masses and I can't wait to see what else she does. 

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

This recommendation is a little different as it's actually one of the novels I'm studying for Uni but I really enjoyed it. This book is a real eye opener and I love the fact it broadened my horizons having never read anything by an Indian author or about Indian culture. It is so beautifully written and while it's full of tragedy it will also make you laugh and smile.  

'It is a story about the childhood experiences of fraternal twins whose lives are destroyed by the "Love Laws" that lay down "who should be loved, and how. And how much."'

Hopefully you've found something you would like to read in this list; whether you need a laugh or some escapism, one of these will be perfect. I plan on returning with another reading list for you soon but for now, happy reading!

picture of dolly Alderton novel with yellow cover and red writing



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig